Sunday, March 27, 2011

Limitless

Today Marcelo and I went to Movie Tavern and saw "Limitless" starring Bradley Cooper. On the drive there we talked about our weekends and what we had done this past week. He mentioned that he was really missing Brazil. 42 days until he goes back home, he's counting down. He mentioned that knowing his return home is just a little over a month away makes him miss it all the more. When I thought about it I realized I felt the same way. The week before Spring Break dragged on and on because I couldn't wait to get home to my family. This week I missed them more than normal as well. I think the more time that passes the less I'll miss them, until we get a couple weeks from the end of the semester. It's a vicious cycle I'd never noticed before.

We arrived just as the lights were dimming and quickly found seats smack dab in the middle of the theater. Perfect. Marcelo told me that the theaters in Brazil are nothing like the Movie Tavern. This didn't really surprise me, since most theaters I've been too are the traditional style, no rolling office chairs or waiters. We both really enjoyed the movie. I learned that Bradley Cooper is one of Marcelo's favorite actors, partly for his role in "The Hangover". I told him that I liked Cooper too, but his looks have something to do with that...

Marcelo and I have gotten to the point in a friendship where you are comfortable just sitting in silence. We were both tired from our weekends and were content to make the ride back to campus a quiet one. However, since the whole point of meeting is to converse we laughingly decided we should probably have some sort of conversation. We talked about trivial and unimportant things like homework, classes, and the weather. I have never had any trouble understanding Marcelo and he rarely struggles to come up with a certain word, so the conversation was very similar to one I might have with a friend from the area. He would like to tour Milton Daniel, so our next meeting I will play tour guide and show him around my current home.

1 comment:

  1. It looks like you have found success in getting to know your ESL partner this semester. Comfort with silence is usually a process that takes time; fortunately, you and Marcelo have quickly developed a level of contentedness that most of our class has not. I look forward to hearing about his thoughts on the dorm, especially if he is currently a freshmen student. Maybe see you two around the Milton Hilton!


    ... Oh, and I agree about Cooper's looks. Just thought I would provide my support :)

    ReplyDelete