Friday, March 4, 2011

A Good Night for Dancing

Last night I took Marcelo to Billy Bob's for some two-steppin'. He brought his friend Mark from Omaha who also has a Brazilian heritage and can speak Portuguese. We met up with a couple of my friends and immediately began giving the two boys country dancing lessons. They were very enthusiastic about learning! They were quick to catch on to the basic steps and spins and were very eager to practice their new skills. Mark especially showed great interest in learning and even sought out a couple random girls so he would have a partner when I was teaching him the steps! It was hilarious to see these two guys being so serious about learning to dance. Marcelo in turn taught me and my friends the basic steps of how they country dance in Brazil. It's pretty much the same as what we do at Billy Bob's, just an extra step.

While sitting and resting Marcelo and I went into more depth about the differences in traditions and behaviors between U.S. southern country dancing and Brazilian dancing. I was surprised to learn that it is a very big deal if a guy asks a girl to dance, because at the end of the dance they are expected to kiss! Asking lonely Brazilian girls to dance at parties is a serious ordeal. In contrast, girls at Billy Bob's line the dance floor hoping to catch the eye of some guy just so they can get our on the floor and enjoy the music. No commitments, just simple conversation while shuffling around the floor.

Marcelo remarked that in Brazil they don't have honky tonks like we do here. There is no place for people to dress up in boots and button-downs and hit the dance floor. The only time they don their country gear is for rodeos and stock shows. He really loved that there are places like Billy Bob's where people can dress up just to dance and have fun.

When is came time to line dance the boys had a little trouble. Once they got the steps down though, they got really into it. Later I told them that the particular line dance we did was probably the easiest one they play at Billy Bob's. This surprised them since they had so much trouble with it. Unfortunately there wasn't another line dance song played so I couldn't show them more complicated steps.

Overall the night was a blast. They were both inspired and motivated to get really good at two-steppin' because of all the pros they saw on the dance floor. Several times I caught them just staring at certain couples as they performed fast and intricate spin moves. It was pretty funny. They made me promise to teach them more and help them practice before they go again. This was the best meeting Marcelo and I have had so far!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jenny, Thanks for the great posts on your library experience with -Vogue- and your trip to Billy Bob's. I thought your description of reading -Vogue- was fascinating, and I especially thought the section of changing etiquettes quite interesting. I have not yet reacted with horror at the younger generation, but I certainly see a lot of my colleagues expressing shock. And thanks so much for taking Marcello with you to Billy Bob's. Sounds like you all had a great time, and I am so pleased not only that you had a good conversations with Marcello but also that you both enjoyed the evening. I am sure that this will always be a warm memory for you both. dw

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny, I enjoyed reading this post. Taking Marcello to Billy Bob's was a great idea. I, also, think it is cool Marcello was open to going to Billy Bob's. As someone who isn't from Texas, Billy Bob's still scares me so I can't imagine what he was thinking. Taking him there was a great way to learn differences about each other's cultures.

    ReplyDelete