Tuesday, April 19, 2011

"The Open Window"

I really enjoyed the readings for today, especially "The Open Window" by Saki. I found it somewhat ironic that the "young lady of fifteen" was "self-possessed". It seems like an oxymoron to me. I also couldn't help but notice the use of a certain four-letter word that Dr. Williams does not like in the description of Vera. I think he has conditioned me to be wary of it. Vera's questioning of Framton Nuttel's knowledge of the area and her aunt made me a little suspicious of her. After hearing the tragic story she told Framton I wondered how much of it was true, then decided it was all a lie when Mrs. Sappleton came bustling in talking about her husband and brothers returning through the open window soon. Fifteen year olds can be quite mischievous.

It was cruel of Vera to play such a trick on Framton when he was already having issues with his health. However, imagining the scene in which the husband and brothers arrive and the look of fear in Framton's face did make me laugh. Why is it that society as a whole seems to find other people's tragedy, discomfort, or fear funny? When a close friend falls of a bike or trips up the stairs we laugh at his or her embarrassment. It's harmless, but have we ever stopped to think about the effect it might have on that individual. Granted, most people laugh along with you. But what about those that take it personally? Maybe they are just too uptight or emotional. This really doesn't have anything to do with the story, I just kind of went off on a tangent...

"The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" by James Thurber evoked more feelings of sympathy and pity than humor for me. I think old men are really cute and it pains me when they struggle in life. Walter Mitty had so many daydreams in which he was the hero, leader, or idolized male that it was almost painfully obvious he felt emasculated. It was no wonder with how controlling his wife is. She doesn't want him driving above a certain speed limit, makes him take her to the hairdresser's, sends him shopping, and overall treats him like a child. Some of the comments she makes and how often he daydreams, however, do make me wonder if he is mentally ill. Mrs. Mitty mentions needing to take Walter's temperature and wishing they had seen Dr. Renshaw that morning, which points to Walter having health issues. I still feel sorry for the man though. All his dreams of being "Walter Mitty the Undefeated" tell me he is not satisfied with his current lot.

I liked how Thurber tied in aspects from one dream into another or from real life into the dreams. For example, The Webley-Vickers automatic first mentioned in the daydream about the Waterbury trial reappears in his daydream of being Captain Mitty. I love little intricate details like that. Many times when you first read a story you miss it. It makes going back and rereading the story much more interesting. The same can be said for movies.

1 comment:

  1. Unlike you I did not catch on to the joke that Vera was playing until the end of the story. I thought that something might be up when the aunt acted so normal when speaking of the husband and sons, but I also thought they she may have gone mentally insane because it is not like it would be strange for us to have that in our readings.
    I think it was mean of Vera to play such a trick, but I do not know if she knew was she was doing or how that would affect Framton Nuttel. I can see my brother playing a trick to that extent or even some of my friends today. Vera definitely does have a different imagination than myself though.

    ReplyDelete