Monday, January 31, 2011

Meeting Marcelo

Today I met with Marcelo Rubez, my conversation partner, for the first time. We just sat in Barnes and Noble and talked about random things for an hour. He's from Brazil and this is his first semester at TCU. He spoke great English! There were very few words I couldn't understand or that he didn't know. I was very impressed. We talked about different physical activities we like to do. I mentioned I played soccer for ten years, which got him pretty excited since soccer is a big sport in Brazil. It's their equivalent of football. His big sport is calf roping! I never expected that. He also likes to cycle around the hills near his home in Brazil too.

We found that we both love nature. He's from a small town and his father owns a cow farm. He spent a lot of his childhood outdoors. He described the hills and waterfalls near his home. I am very jealous of his upbringing. I would love to live in a small country town. Next time we meet he his going to bring pictures.

We discussed the differences in alcohol laws between Brazil and the U.S. The minimum drinking age in Brazil is 18 and they seem to have just as much trouble with drunk driving as we do. He was surprised when I told him that there are some establishments, like gas stations, where you can buy alcohol but are not allowed to consume it on the premises.

Overall, meeting him for the first time was a lot of fun and somewhat enlightening. I'm looking forward to our next get-together. We're going to Walmart! :P

No comments:

Post a Comment